Friday, January 16, 2015

The Diary Of A Post Grad Gal: Unemployment Hokey Pokey



Unemployment sucks. There is honestly no nice way to say it. I spent majority of my time after graduation checking for new emails from potential employers. Every time my phone pinged, I checked my email. I applied to at least 4-6 jobs a day for a 3 month period, so I received a lot of emails. Sadly most of them were rejection emails...for 3 months I received so many rejection letters that I stopped counting. I had a few interviews here and there but nothing ever worked out. I felt like I'd put one foot out then right back in, hence unemployment hokey pokey. I began to feel like I would never find a job but I reminded myself that I had just begun the job search. When you really think about it 3 months is not that long, I've heard some graduates searching for 6 to 12 months without finding a job.  I mean what a helpless feeling. You work hard for 4 years and it feels virtually impossible to find a job! How do you deal?

1. Don't get discouraged| It's hard to not feel this way, but you have to believe that things will get better. If you don't then who will?

2. Try keeping a regular schedule| I know it will be really easy to just sit in your pjs all day but you need to get up and get moving! Stay motivated, you need to treat this job search like a like job. Create some type of schedule so you're productive everyday.

3. Stay Social| You may feel like being a complete hermit but you need to do the complete opposite! You're basically networking which is essential when job hunting. You never know who you may meet!

4.Volunteer|  When we aren't working we tend to feel like we're wasting time. The best way to fix this is by donating your time. Sometimes a job opportunity can come out of that!

5. Take a class or workshop| This is great for keeping your mind fresh and current.

These are the things that kept me sane. I hope they're as helpful for you as they were for me! Also if you have any other tips be sure to comment below!

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment